Karen Thompson Walker
Karen Thompson Walker is the author of the New York Times bestseller, The Age of Miracles (2012), which was named one of the best books of the year by People, O: The Oprah Magazine, and Publishers Weekly. This powerful debut follows a young girl and her family, who awake one morning to discover that the rotation of the Earth has suddenly begun to slow, stretching the length of the 24-hour day and throwing the natural world into disarray. It's a big, speculative book, but at heart, it's a simple human drama, told through the eyes of an observant adolescent girl.
Her forthcoming novel, The Dreamers (Jan 2019), is another mesmerizing story of a town transformed by a mysterious sickness that locks victims in perpetual sleep and triggers extraordinary, life-altering dreams. Gorgeously written, The Dreamers explore the possibilities contained within a human life - in our waking days, and perhaps even more, in our dreams.
A former book editor at Simon & Schuster, Karen is currently a faculty member of the University of Oregon MFA program, and lives with her family in Portland.
Talks and Topics
- The Age of Miracles Author Presentation
- The Dreamers Author Presentation
- What Fear Can Teach Us
- More topics coming soon!
Check Karen's Availability
Previous & Upcoming Events:
- Coming Soon!
In the News:
- "NY Times Bestselling Author's Novel Describes Coming of Age in an Apocalyptically Altered World" - WKMS (Mar 2018)
- "The Age of Miracles Series Adaptation in the Works at AMC" - Deadline Hollywood (Mar 2017)
- "The Age of Miracles" - NYTimes Book Review (June 2012)