Jamie Ford is a Northwest author most widely known for his bestselling Seattle-based novels. His debut, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, spent two years on the New York Times bestseller list, won the 2010 Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature, and was a finalist for the Washington State Book Award, the Pacific Northwest Book Award, and the Langum Prize for Historical Fiction. Hotel was named the #1 Book Club pick in 2010 by the American Bookseller Association and is now read widely in schools all across the country. This multi-cultural tale was adapted by Book-It Repertory Theatre, and has recently been optioned for a stage musical, and also for film, with George Takei serving as Executive Producer.
Jamie's second book, Songs of Willow Frost, was also a national bestseller. His third novel set in Seattle, Love and Other Consolations Prizes, was published last fall and Library Journal named it one of the Best Historical Fiction Novels of 2017. An award-winning short-story writer, his work has been published in multiple anthologies, from Asian-themed steampunk set in Seattle in the Apocalypse Triptych, to stories exploring the universe of masked marvels and caped crusaders from an Asian American perspective in Secret Identities: The first Asian American Superhero Anthology, and Shattered: The Asian American Comics Anthology. His essays on race, identity, love, heroes, and complex families have been published nationwide and his work has been translated into 35 languages. He says he’s holding out for Klingon, because that’s when you know you’ve made it.
Jamie is the great-grandson of Nevada mining pioneer, Min Chung, who emigrated from Kaiping, China to San Francisco in 1865, where he adopted the western name “Ford,” thus confusing countless generations. Having grown up near Seattle’s Chinatown, he now lives in Montana where he’s on a never-ending search for decent dim sum. When not writing or daydreaming, he can be found tweeting @jamieford and on Instagram @jamiefordofficial.
Talks and Topics
- Download Speaker Profile
- The History of a Love Story: Hotel On the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
- Songs of Willow Frost
- Love and Other Consolation Prizes
- Racebending: Adventures in a Bi-cultural World
- The Social Responsibility of Historical Fiction
Check Jamie's Availability
Previous & Upcoming Events:
- Mar 7, 2018: Bellevue College All Campus Read - Bellevue, WA
- Mar 22, 2018: One Book One Community - Monroe, MI
- Apr 8, 2018: NW Voices, Longview Library - Longview, WA
- Apr 12, 2018: Bloomington Reads - Bloomington, IL
- Apr 14, 2018: Alachua Author Series - Gainsville, FL
- May 3, 2018: Assistance League of Salem-Kaizer - Salem, OR
- Oct 5, 2018: Ohio Literary Council - Columbus, OH
- Nov 5, 2018: Alvernia University Common Reading - Reading, PA
In the News:
- "Bestselling Novelist Jamie Ford's Newest Epic Tale" - KING5.com (May 2018)
- "Monroe One Book hosts 'Meet the Author' with Jamie Ford" - Bedford Now (Mar 2018)
- "A Walk Through History and Fiction with Author Jamie Ford" - Seattle Times (Sep 2017)