Laurie Lico Albanese
Laurie Lico Albanese is a favorite of independent booksellers, and author of the novel Stolen Beauty, which the Wall Street Journal calls “a work of art itself.” Her historical fiction brings to life heroines known to us through iconic works of art, including the paintings of Viennese artist Gustav Klimt, and Renaissance artist Fra Filippo Lippi. She is also the author of a memoir-in-verse, Blue Suburbia, and co-author of The Miracles of Prato.
A dedicated creative writing teacher and inveterate researcher, Laurie travels extensively for her fiction, journalism and workshops. She guides audiences and students through the creative process by focusing on universal experiences of love, loss, fortitude and desire for connection that unite us all.
Laurie has worked in book publishing and journalism, and feels exceedingly fortunate to be part of the world of words and books. She adores libraries and bookstores, and is developing a specialty in trauma and teaching through her work at the Stonecoast MFA Program at the University of Southern Maine in Portland.
Awards include a Hadassah-Brandeis Institute Research Grant, NJ State Council in the Arts Fellowship in Fiction Writing, and a Catherine R. Dodge Foundation Fellowship to the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts.
Laurie grew up on Long Island, and graduated from New York University with a degree in journalism. She learned to love winter while living in Chicago for nine years. She now lives in New Jersey.
Talks and Topics
- Stolen Beauty book talk & multi-media presentation
- The Miracles of Prato book talk & multi-media presentation
- The Lady Behind the Gold: Gustav Klimt & Adele Bloch-Bauer (Book & Movie)
- Klimt's Women: Invention of the Modern in Fin-de-Siècle Vienna
- Hitler, Klimt & Adele Bloch-Bauer: Art & Vienna 1908-2006
- Blue Suburbia: Trauma, Poetry & Blue Collar Childhood
- Getting Started: Creative Writing for All Ages
- Collaging & Klimt: A Hands-On Workshop & Book Talk
- Memoir Writing: Turning Life into Art
- Teaching Writing in Community Settings & Addressing Issues of Trauma
- Historical Fiction & Feminist Heroines
- For Book Clubs
Check Laurie's Availability
Previous and Upcoming Events:
- November 14, 2017: Jumpstart Luncheon - New York, NY
- February 21, 2108: Jewish Federation of Lee & Charlotte Counties - Fort Myers, FL
- February 24, 2018: 1 Books One Community - Vernon Hills, IL
- July 9-14, 2018: Stonecoast Writers Conference - ME
In the News: